Tiger’s new sponsor is a curious choice
Tiger Woods is stepping back onto the golf course after another long injury hiatus, but many fans of the game seem more interested in his newest sponsorship deal.
Monster Energy is deeply rooted in the sports sponsorship world, getting its name plastered across mixed martial arts, skiing, motocross, surfing, skateboarding, bull riding and a host of other motor sports. It has become well known as a sponsor which rewards adrenaline junkies, so its leap into golf—though not a great surprise with how much money is involved—still seems an odd match. Especially when its sponsoring a player like Tiger Woods.
Monster has scratched its iconic logo onto Tiger’s bag, and the golfing world is bemused to say the least. The issue, of course, is not whether this is a good brand to be put on golf equipment, but rather why align with a player who is nearly 41-years-old, injury-prone and most definitely lacking in energy?
Monster becomes the seventh brand to have its logo on the bag of one of the world’s most visible athletes, following MusclePharm, Titleist, Fuse Science, Buick, AT&T and Nike.
Woods isn’t the first golfer to sign with an energy drink as a sponsor, though at almost 41 years old he doesn’t exactly land squarely in the company’s target demographic of teens.
Woods, however, seems happy with the deal, even joking with the press: “I know that I’m not going to be doing any half pipes or anything. I have energy, but just not like that.”
Rickie Fowler, partnering with market share-leader Red Bull, certainly seems a more logical fit. He’s only 27, and hugely popular with the younger generation of golf fans. Plus, Fowler has a background in motocross, despite ditching the dirt bike for a golf bag at the age of 14.
Jim Furyk regards 5-Hour Energy among his sponsors, though the product isn’t really an energy drink in the same way as the others already mentioned.
Time will tell if Monster Energy can energise the sleeping giant that is Tiger Woods.
OG News: The Masters 2018 tee off times
The season's first major is here at last, and it’s sure to be one of the more memorable Masters in the tournament's 82-year history.
OG News: Sergio Garcia has fan ejected
Sergio Garcia might be the reigning Masters champion, but that didn’t exempt him from an incident-laden 12th hole on the opening day of the WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play.
OG News: Tiger Woods will play Ryder Cup, says Chamblee
Golf Channel analyst Brandel Chamblee believes Tiger Woods has an 80% chance of playing in Jim Furyk's Ryder Cup side at Le Golf National in Paris.
- OG News: Paul Casey reveals Ryder Cup dream club.news.more.posteddate 12/02/2018
- OG News: McDowell falls out of world top 200 club.news.more.posteddate 24/01/2018
- OG News: Coach would be 'shocked' if Tiger doesn't win in 2018 club.news.more.posteddate 18/01/2018
- OG News: Ian Poulter receives WGC trophy... 5 years later club.news.more.posteddate 12/01/2018
- OG News: McIlroy’s mansion goes up for sale at $12.9 million club.news.more.posteddate 10/01/2018
- OG News: Fowler ranked No.1 on list of 'Best-Mannered People' club.news.more.posteddate 05/01/2018
- OG News: Meet the TaylorMade M3 & M4 Metalwoods club.news.more.posteddate 02/01/2018
- OG News: TaylorMade unveils M3 & M4 Irons club.news.more.posteddate 02/01/2018
- OG News: Molinari signs with Bettinardi club.news.more.posteddate 21/12/2017
- OG News: Nicklaus “not interested at all” in watching woods comeback club.news.more.posteddate 19/12/2017
- OG News: Does anyone actually enjoy playing golf in winter? club.news.more.posteddate 19/12/2017
- OG News: Rickie Fowler fulfils dying man's golf wish club.news.more.posteddate 11/12/2017
- OG News: McIlroy to keep best mate as caddie in 2018 club.news.more.posteddate 08/12/2017
Video: Callaway Chrome Soft & Chrome Soft X
Chrome Soft Golf Balls combine Tour-proven performance with unparalleled feel and exceptional mis-hit forgiveness. Everything about the ball that changed the ball is better because of the innovation at every layer, starting with Callaway's groundbreaking new Graphene Dual SoftFast.
Video: Cobra Golf KING F8 Iron Tech
KING® F8 Variable and ONE Length™ irons are equipped with COBRA CONNECT™. Automatic shot tracking technology Powered By Arccos™.
The driver face is outdated. TaylorMade thinks its found the solution and sat down with five of its biggest players to see their reactions as the most twisted driver innovation is revealed. Are you ready to see?
- Video: TaylorMade Milled Grind Golf Wedge club.news.more.posteddate 26/09/2017
- Video: Mizuno MP-18 Steel Irons club.news.more.posteddate 06/09/2017
- GolfBuddy WTX GPS Watch club.news.more.posteddate 30/08/2017
- Video: Cobra Golf Introduce the F-MAX club.news.more.posteddate 10/08/2017
- Video: Test-driving PING G400 range club.news.more.posteddate 10/07/2017
- Video: PING golfers test-drive G400 Driver club.news.more.posteddate 10/07/2017
- Video: PING golfers test-drive G400 Hybrid club.news.more.posteddate 10/07/2017
- Video: PING golfers test-drive G400 Irons club.news.more.posteddate 10/07/2017
- Video: PING golfers test-drive G400 Crossover club.news.more.posteddate 10/07/2017
- Video: PING golfers test-drive G400 Fairway Wood club.news.more.posteddate 10/07/2017
- Motocaddy S5 Connect Electric Golf Trolley - Video club.news.more.posteddate 23/06/2017
- Rory McIlroy | Swing Checklist -Video club.news.more.posteddate 28/03/2017
- Rory McIlroy | Power Through Impact -Video club.news.more.posteddate 13/03/2017