Henrik Stenson wins 145th Open Championship at Royal Troon
Henrik Stenson finally ended his long wait for a maiden major title by overcoming fellow Callaway golfer Phil Mickelson in a pulsating final day tussle at the 145th Open Championship at Royal Troon.
Those in attendance were treated to some wonderful golf from both men, with many calling it almost – if not better than – the infamous "Duel in the Sun" between Tom Watson and Jack Nicklaus on the Ayrshire coast at Turnberry in 1977. And when Stenson prevailed with a major record-equalling 63, he did so with a three-shot victory on 20 under par and achieving a new record for golf’s oldest major.
It was harsh on Mickelson, who had performed exceedingly well throughout the competition but just could not stop Stenson’s wave once he got into full swing. His excellent 65 would have been more than enough for the win, but Stenson’s four birdies on the final five holes put paid to Lefty’s chances and gave the cool-headed Swede a most deserved trophy.
Another golfer who needs to be given credit for a sublime display was JB Holmes, whose race for third place – a full 14 shots behind the eventual champ – showed the Taylormade, Cleveland and Srixon man was more than just an outside chance for the victory; although nothing was going to slow Stenson or Mickelson.
Winning the 145th Open Championship has propelled Henrik Stenson into the world’s top five golfers, and now he will hope to build upon this success with further major wins and more stellar performances.
What’s In Henrik Stenson’s Winning Bag?
Driver: Callaway XR 16
Fairway: Callaway Diablo Octane Tour
Irons: Callaway Legacy Black
Wedges: Callaway Golf MD 3 Milled
Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG #7H
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1x
OnlineGolf News: McIlroy training with TaylorMade M2 Driver ahead of WGC-HSBC
Rory McIlroy has been spotted preparing for the World Golf Championships-HSBC Champions in Shanghai using a TaylorMade M2 driver and fairway wood...
OnlineGolf News: Ian Woosnam inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame
Woosnam is a highly-decorated player, having won the Masters in 1991, the European Order of Merit on two occasions, and captained Europe to Ryder Cup victory in 2006...
OnlineGolf News: Japan set to host PGA Champions tournament
The PGA Tour is set to sanction a Champions tournament in Tokyo next year. The move marks the first time a PGA Tour event has ever been sanctioned in Japan...
- OnlineGolf News: Is Andrew ‘Beef’ Johnston the latest Halloween costume craze for kids? club.news.more.posteddate 14/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Aaron Baddeley signs for PING Golf club.news.more.posteddate 13/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Lee Westwood: I let Darren Clarke down club.news.more.posteddate 13/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: John Daly defends rowdy US fans at Ryder Cup club.news.more.posteddate 12/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: 91-year-old golfer scores hole-in-one club.news.more.posteddate 11/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Tiger Woods comeback may never happen, say ex-players club.news.more.posteddate 11/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Dougherty calls time on playing career club.news.more.posteddate 10/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Rose to take time off after intense summer club.news.more.posteddate 06/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Cheyenne Woods set to play Dubai Ladies Masters in December club.news.more.posteddate 05/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Europe may have lost, but this year’s Ryder Cup was simply awesome club.news.more.posteddate 04/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Watch: Heckler wins $100 from Justin Rose after making putt club.news.more.posteddate 30/09/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Golfing great Arnold Palmer passes away at 87 club.news.more.posteddate 26/09/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Ian Poulter to be awarded top PGA award club.news.more.posteddate 07/09/2016
PING Pro Louis Oosthuizen and iBlade -Video
The inspiring new iBlade iron is distinguished by the softest, purest feel we’ve ever achieved in an iron, with the workability and control to shape shots on command.
PING Vault Putters | Precision Milled to Perfection -Video
Precision-milled PING Vault putters draw inspiration from our legendary Gold Putter Vault. Players will experience improved putting touch and speed control with the patented True-Roll (TR) face technology, one of the most significant and measurable innovations.
Nick Faldo shocked to hit the JPX900 Forged 6 iron 190 yards -Video
A mid-sized, one piece Grain Flow Forged iron that comprehensively ends the normal trade-off between precision and distance. Produced from a stronger Boron infused steel billet – the JPX900 Forged boasts a milled pocket and new multi thickness face.
- 30 Seconds To Better Golf With Callaway | Fairway Wood From the Rough -Video club.news.more.posteddate 10/10/2016
- Callaway Golf present the Steelhead XR -Video club.news.more.posteddate 05/10/2016
- Callaway Golf Big Bertha OS Irons -Video club.news.more.posteddate 04/10/2016
- Callaway Golf Big Bertha Fusion Driver -Video club.news.more.posteddate 04/10/2016
- 917 Complete Performance -Video club.news.more.posteddate 04/10/2016
- 30 Seconds To Better Golf With Callaway | Square Up For Big Drives -Video club.news.more.posteddate 03/08/2016
- Callaway U.S. Open Golf Tips | Be Great at Lag Putting club.news.more.posteddate 05/07/2016
- Callaway U.S. Open Golf Tips | Chip From a Buried Lie -Video club.news.more.posteddate 29/06/2016
- Callaway U.S. Open Golf Tips | Get Out of the Fairway Bunker -Video club.news.more.posteddate 26/06/2016
- Callaway U.S. Open Golf Tips | How To Escape the Deep Rough -Video club.news.more.posteddate 17/06/2016
- Garmin Approach X40 GPS Golf Band -Video club.news.more.posteddate 31/05/2016
- Wilson Staff #GearUp | Hitting From an Uphill Lie -Video club.news.more.posteddate 31/05/2016
- OnlineGolf Father's Day Deals -Video club.news.more.posteddate 26/05/2016