Fun facts about The Masters
The Masters tournament at Augusta is one of the landmark events for golf, pitting the world’s best players against each other in the hopes of becoming the owner of that coveted Green Jacket and all the spoils that come with its acquisition.
But how much do you know about one of the most famous golf courses in the world? Here we’ve unearthed some fun, interesting facts about Augusta…
Every hole on the famous golf course is named after a plant or shrub. Examples of this include “Tea Olive” and “Holly.”
The famous Magnolia Lane extends from the entrance gate all the way to the clubhouse, and the 61 magnolia trees which line the sides of the 330-yard road date all the way back to the late 1850’s.
There are only three fully-fledged members at Augusta: Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Senior PGA Tour player John Harris.
There is a 30-by-40-foot room situated at the top of the clubhouse called the Crow’s Nest which can be used as living quarters for as many as five amateur golfers while The Masters is being contested.
The Green Jacket is arguably golf’s most precious prize at The Masters. This tradition began in 1937 when jackets were purchased from New York’s Brooks Uniform Co. and the idea was that Masters Patrons could easily see members who would be able to offer up accurate information when asked.
Ike’s Pond is named after General Eisenhower. All three acres of the pond is man-made, features a dam and is fed by a spring.
The Champions Dinner is held for members of The Masters Club and those who have won a Masters Tournament previously. The dinner is hosted by the defending champion on the Tuesday of Masters week.
Two plaques honouring Masters founders Bob Jones and Clifford Roberts can be located at Founders Circle, which is at the base of the flagpole in front of the clubhouse.
The beautifully-designed Record Fountain, which can be seen on the No. 17 tee and displays course records and Masters Tournament winners, was built to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Masters.
In 1990 Ron Townsend became the first African-American member to be admitted into the highly exclusive club.
Between the years of 1943, 1944 and 1945 there was no Masters Tournament played. This was due to World War II. The location did, however, help with the war effort by allowing cattle and turkey to be raised on the Augusta National Grounds.
The first Masters Tournament was held on March 22 1934. For the first five years (1934-1938) The Masters was called the “Augusta National Invitational.”
Horton Smith holds the distinction of becoming the first winner of The Masters Tournament in 1934.
It was in 1949 when the coveted Green Jacket was first awarded to the winner of the Tournament, the proud honour going to Sam Snead.
Aptly known as “The big oak tree,” this famous landmark on the golf course side of the clubhouse is about 145-150 years old. It was planted in the 1850’s.
Jack Nicklaus has the most Masters Tournament wins, with six. Nicklaus became the oldest player to win a Masters Tournament, at 46 years, 2 months and 23 days - in 1986.
Tiger Woods is the youngest player to win a Masters Tournament, at 21 years, 3 months and 14 days - in 1997.
OnlineGolf News: McIlroy training with TaylorMade M2 Driver ahead of WGC-HSBC
Rory McIlroy has been spotted preparing for the World Golf Championships-HSBC Champions in Shanghai using a TaylorMade M2 driver and fairway wood...
OnlineGolf News: Ian Woosnam inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame
Woosnam is a highly-decorated player, having won the Masters in 1991, the European Order of Merit on two occasions, and captained Europe to Ryder Cup victory in 2006...
OnlineGolf News: Japan set to host PGA Champions tournament
The PGA Tour is set to sanction a Champions tournament in Tokyo next year. The move marks the first time a PGA Tour event has ever been sanctioned in Japan...
- OnlineGolf News: Is Andrew ‘Beef’ Johnston the latest Halloween costume craze for kids? club.news.more.posteddate 14/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Aaron Baddeley signs for PING Golf club.news.more.posteddate 13/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Lee Westwood: I let Darren Clarke down club.news.more.posteddate 13/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: John Daly defends rowdy US fans at Ryder Cup club.news.more.posteddate 12/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: 91-year-old golfer scores hole-in-one club.news.more.posteddate 11/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Tiger Woods comeback may never happen, say ex-players club.news.more.posteddate 11/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Dougherty calls time on playing career club.news.more.posteddate 10/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Rose to take time off after intense summer club.news.more.posteddate 06/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Cheyenne Woods set to play Dubai Ladies Masters in December club.news.more.posteddate 05/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Europe may have lost, but this year’s Ryder Cup was simply awesome club.news.more.posteddate 04/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Watch: Heckler wins $100 from Justin Rose after making putt club.news.more.posteddate 30/09/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Golfing great Arnold Palmer passes away at 87 club.news.more.posteddate 26/09/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Ian Poulter to be awarded top PGA award club.news.more.posteddate 07/09/2016
PING Pro Louis Oosthuizen and iBlade -Video
The inspiring new iBlade iron is distinguished by the softest, purest feel we’ve ever achieved in an iron, with the workability and control to shape shots on command.
PING Vault Putters | Precision Milled to Perfection -Video
Precision-milled PING Vault putters draw inspiration from our legendary Gold Putter Vault. Players will experience improved putting touch and speed control with the patented True-Roll (TR) face technology, one of the most significant and measurable innovations.
Nick Faldo shocked to hit the JPX900 Forged 6 iron 190 yards -Video
A mid-sized, one piece Grain Flow Forged iron that comprehensively ends the normal trade-off between precision and distance. Produced from a stronger Boron infused steel billet – the JPX900 Forged boasts a milled pocket and new multi thickness face.
- 30 Seconds To Better Golf With Callaway | Fairway Wood From the Rough -Video club.news.more.posteddate 10/10/2016
- Callaway Golf present the Steelhead XR -Video club.news.more.posteddate 05/10/2016
- Callaway Golf Big Bertha OS Irons -Video club.news.more.posteddate 04/10/2016
- Callaway Golf Big Bertha Fusion Driver -Video club.news.more.posteddate 04/10/2016
- 917 Complete Performance -Video club.news.more.posteddate 04/10/2016
- 30 Seconds To Better Golf With Callaway | Square Up For Big Drives -Video club.news.more.posteddate 03/08/2016
- Callaway U.S. Open Golf Tips | Be Great at Lag Putting club.news.more.posteddate 05/07/2016
- Callaway U.S. Open Golf Tips | Chip From a Buried Lie -Video club.news.more.posteddate 29/06/2016
- Callaway U.S. Open Golf Tips | Get Out of the Fairway Bunker -Video club.news.more.posteddate 26/06/2016
- Callaway U.S. Open Golf Tips | How To Escape the Deep Rough -Video club.news.more.posteddate 17/06/2016
- Garmin Approach X40 GPS Golf Band -Video club.news.more.posteddate 31/05/2016
- Wilson Staff #GearUp | Hitting From an Uphill Lie -Video club.news.more.posteddate 31/05/2016
- OnlineGolf Father's Day Deals -Video club.news.more.posteddate 26/05/2016