Explanation of 2016 Putting Ban
From January 1 2016, under the R&A’s proposal to amend the rules of golf, every player shall be prohibited from anchoring their club when making a stroke. The adoption of Rule 14-1b will be all-inclusive and effective over the next four years and affects amateurs and professionals alike.
Playing under new ruling
Rule 14-1b focuses only on the method of stroke; it does not limit the conforming equipment that may be used. While making a stroke, a player may not anchor the club (i) “directly” or (ii) indirectly through use of an “anchor point”. The club is being anchored “directly” when the player intentionally holds the club or a gripping hand in contact with any part of his or her body, although he or she can hold the club or gripping hand against a hand or forearm.
An “Anchor Point” exists when the player intentionally holds a forearm in contact with any part of his or her body to establish a gripping hand as a stable point around which the other hand may swing the golf club.
Rule 14-b: Why has it been introduced?
Anchored strokes have been a controversial subject within the golfing community for years now but really came to a head in 2011 and 2012 when the use of anchoring rose sharply in popularity. This forced the R&A and the USGA to announce in February 2012 that it was going to look at whether anchored strokes should be banned under the Rules of Golf. They gathered evidence from players, governing bodies, golf associations, and the general public to garner opinion. Opinion. The decision came down that anchored strokes should be prohibited from January 2016.
Not everyone backs Rule 14-1b . The PGA Tour requested the Rule not be adopted at all, as did the PGA of America, the Canadian PGA, and the National Golf Course Owners Association.
However, the European Tour, LPGA, Ladies European Tour, the Professional Golfers’ Association of Great Britain and Ireland (joined by the PGAs of Europe), shared their support for the proposed Rule.
You can still use belly and long putters without anchoring
You will still be allowed to use any conforming belly-length or long putter as long as you do not anchor the club while making a stroke. As these putters have grown considerably popular over the past few years, they will remain useable at all levels of the game. Again, you’ll need only to move the club just off the body so that it is not anchored. In short, for each type of currently used anchored stroke that will be subject to penalty under Rule 14-1b, you in effect need only to move the club and hand (and, if relevant, the forearm) away from the body by a small degree such that the club is not anchored and a free swing occurs. The method of stroke will not be identical and you will need to control and swing the entire club. It’s a hassle but it does mean everyone who wants to continue using these putters can do so.
Here is a selection of frequently asked questions about anchored putting which might help answer any niggling issues:
Which methods of stoke have been prohibited?
Only a few types of stroke are prohibited under the new ruling; those in which the club is intentionally anchored, either directly or indirectly or through the use of forearm against the body, will result in penalty. All other types of stroke and styles of grip remain legal.
Does the rule only apply to strokes made from putting green?
Rule 14-1b has been applied to all types of stroke (putts, pitch shots, chip shots, full-length shots etc.) regardless of where the stroke is made (putting green, fairway, rough, tee, fringe) and everywhere else on the golf course.
Are Belly Putters and Long Putters banned?
Conforming belly putters will still be legal to use during a game.
How is the “forearm” defined?
When it comes to Rule 14-1b, the forearm is the part of the arm below the elbow joint and including the wrist.
Is a “side-saddle” stroke permitted?
As long as the player does not anchor his or her club directly or indirectly, nor hold a forearm against the body to create an anchor point, then yes a side-saddle is still permitted.
Is it illegal to intentionally rest one or both forearms against the body while making a stroke?
No. A player may intentionally hold a forearm against their body. This is only prohibited when used to create an anchor point.
OnlineGolf News: Ian Woosnam inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame
Woosnam is a highly-decorated player, having won the Masters in 1991, the European Order of Merit on two occasions, and captained Europe to Ryder Cup victory in 2006...
OnlineGolf News: Japan set to host PGA Champions tournament
The PGA Tour is set to sanction a Champions tournament in Tokyo next year. The move marks the first time a PGA Tour event has ever been sanctioned in Japan...
OnlineGolf News: Is Andrew ‘Beef’ Johnston the latest Halloween costume craze for kids?
Kids dressing up as him for Halloween? Even Beef himself didn’t see that one coming!
- OnlineGolf News: Aaron Baddeley signs for PING Golf club.news.more.posteddate 13/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Lee Westwood: I let Darren Clarke down club.news.more.posteddate 13/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: John Daly defends rowdy US fans at Ryder Cup club.news.more.posteddate 12/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: 91-year-old golfer scores hole-in-one club.news.more.posteddate 11/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Tiger Woods comeback may never happen, say ex-players club.news.more.posteddate 11/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Dougherty calls time on playing career club.news.more.posteddate 10/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Rose to take time off after intense summer club.news.more.posteddate 06/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Cheyenne Woods set to play Dubai Ladies Masters in December club.news.more.posteddate 05/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Europe may have lost, but this year’s Ryder Cup was simply awesome club.news.more.posteddate 04/10/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Watch: Heckler wins $100 from Justin Rose after making putt club.news.more.posteddate 30/09/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Golfing great Arnold Palmer passes away at 87 club.news.more.posteddate 26/09/2016
- OnlineGolf News: Ian Poulter to be awarded top PGA award club.news.more.posteddate 07/09/2016
- OnlineGolf News: World number 2, Ariya Jutanugarn leads first women’s golf event for 116 years club.news.more.posteddate 18/08/2016
PING Pro Louis Oosthuizen and iBlade -Video
The inspiring new iBlade iron is distinguished by the softest, purest feel we’ve ever achieved in an iron, with the workability and control to shape shots on command.
PING Vault Putters | Precision Milled to Perfection -Video
Precision-milled PING Vault putters draw inspiration from our legendary Gold Putter Vault. Players will experience improved putting touch and speed control with the patented True-Roll (TR) face technology, one of the most significant and measurable innovations.
Nick Faldo shocked to hit the JPX900 Forged 6 iron 190 yards -Video
A mid-sized, one piece Grain Flow Forged iron that comprehensively ends the normal trade-off between precision and distance. Produced from a stronger Boron infused steel billet – the JPX900 Forged boasts a milled pocket and new multi thickness face.
- 30 Seconds To Better Golf With Callaway | Fairway Wood From the Rough -Video club.news.more.posteddate 10/10/2016
- Callaway Golf present the Steelhead XR -Video club.news.more.posteddate 05/10/2016
- Callaway Golf Big Bertha OS Irons -Video club.news.more.posteddate 04/10/2016
- Callaway Golf Big Bertha Fusion Driver -Video club.news.more.posteddate 04/10/2016
- 917 Complete Performance -Video club.news.more.posteddate 04/10/2016
- 30 Seconds To Better Golf With Callaway | Square Up For Big Drives -Video club.news.more.posteddate 03/08/2016
- Callaway U.S. Open Golf Tips | Be Great at Lag Putting club.news.more.posteddate 05/07/2016
- Callaway U.S. Open Golf Tips | Chip From a Buried Lie -Video club.news.more.posteddate 29/06/2016
- Callaway U.S. Open Golf Tips | Get Out of the Fairway Bunker -Video club.news.more.posteddate 26/06/2016
- Callaway U.S. Open Golf Tips | How To Escape the Deep Rough -Video club.news.more.posteddate 17/06/2016
- Garmin Approach X40 GPS Golf Band -Video club.news.more.posteddate 31/05/2016
- Wilson Staff #GearUp | Hitting From an Uphill Lie -Video club.news.more.posteddate 31/05/2016
- OnlineGolf Father's Day Deals -Video club.news.more.posteddate 26/05/2016